Costa Sur Classroom/Playground Project
Phase I - scheduled to break ground September 2013
- Construct additional classroom for grades K – 3 with solar panels for lighting.
- Renovate existing classroom for grades 4 – 10 to the same standard as the new classroom; install solar panels for lighting.
- Clear all ‘dead’ space surrounding existing school and construct play and social areas to include soccer field, basketball/playground, porch with swings
- Build deck for yoga practice
- Create floral beds and small sustainable garden
- Provide sufficient supplies to maximize educational and fitness environment (school supplies, uniforms, sports equipment, yoga props, etc.)
Costa Sur School Uniforms and Supplies
School uniforms are mandatory in Nicaragua schools. However, many impoverished families are unable to pay for them. In the latter part of 2011, karmaNICA raised funds through yoga events in New York, Miami, and Los Angeles to provide each of the 36 children of Escuela Cedric Martin in Costa Sur with 1 school uniform, jogging pants, school shoes and sneakers. The kids also received a backpack filled with school supplies. This was our first step in helping provide needed resources and materials to instill confidence, joy and curiosity and most importantly, limitless potential for these children.